Thursday, September 25, 2008

Home Sweet Home, or an Inconvenient Truth

We are home now and we have power, cable, internet,phone and cell service!!!


Good times, Good Times!


A few days ago my friend Jan Mason posted the following quote on her blog and it really gave me pause and made me think about this little inconvenience we went through for 12 days- I wanted to steal the quote right away but I thought it would be nicer if I waited a few days, today it's very appropriate.


“One of life's best coping mechanisms is to know the difference between an inconvenience and a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you've got a problem. Everything else is an inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy. A lump in the oatmeal, a lump in the throat and a lump in the breast are not the same kind of lump. One needs to learn the difference.”~Robert Fulghum


I have to admit that I felt like things were horrible but really in hindsight, it was just an inconvenience, we had no loss to our property, everyone was healthy and safe and we had plenty to eat. Also when it got bleak we had places of refuge. The kids and I were pampered in Austin (I have my savage tan back) and Robert was able to get back to work pretty quickly. Some people are still out of work and that is a problem, who can afford to be out of work for 1/2 a month or longer?


The kids are back in school today, if you ask David he'd say that's a problem, but Alice felt the whole two weeks off was very inconvenient, after all Mrs. Randolph really misses her! Quentin is getting over a flu (an inconvenience that delayed our trip home by one day) but I think he'll go to school after gym today.


Two material things I'm greatful for are our propane grill (and propane products) and our little am/fm radio. It was great to hear the news without the luxury of tv and warm food was great-.

As promised here is my photo log of the days of Ike.

This is Friday Night when the power went out a full 8 hours before the storm even hit.




These are some pictures that my husband took when he went out into the EYE of the storm, even though they say NEVER GO OUT IN THE EYE OF THE STORM- I was yelling at him from my mattress in the house.

I guess it was pretty cool, but I was afraid to go out there and then get blown to OZ or something.

Assessing the Damage, aka the Morning After





Our front yard, we lost 5 trees from the front and back, but none landed on the house!










The Port O Can on Port O Call





Livin' Like Refugees



The Monkey's Uncle


Since we were with mom and dad for 9 days we actually got to see Brian on his days off- He's nocturnal but made a day appearance in the pool to appease Quentin. When he came out I thought maybe the Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana had came out- because everyone was screaiming with Delight. Even Joely became friends with Uncle Brian on this trip, I think the Oreo cookies helped, but now she's a fan. He spent a couple hours being jumped on by the boys and appeasing many requests to "throw me, throw me" and "one more time, please" And for some reason I only got pictures of him and Alice, but he was bombarded on all sides. Thanks for being a good sport Uncle Brian.




At the wildflower center of Miss Ladybird's fame


The wildflower center was celebrating the launch of it's spanish language website, so it was all about latin america, good food and fun crafts all for a buck!

6 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Hip Hip Hooray, your back!!!!
I've been thinking of you, and wondering if power would ever be restored to the great state of Texas:):) It does look like a hard life being a refugee, and how about that eye of the storm. What a brave man to journey out into that. Scary.
So glad your back
love ya

Arcalee said...

I am glad you guys are back and safe. I am sure the kids are missing their mini vacation, but glad to be back home as well.

4Girls4Me said...

Peaches & Herb?? Too much! I was laughing out loud... That's wonderful that you guys are back home with Daddy! I loved, loved the quote, and the awesome pictures Robert took - risking his life for a great photo op, that's a man after my own heart. :) I'm so glad you & the kids had a fun Refugee Vacation but happy to hear you are back at home & school! Your blog is so fun! :)

Jan said...

It's so interesting how these uncles are so popular -- our Math is the all-time favorite for the niece and nephews. They call him 'Monkey' - and he loves it. They adore him .

Aryn said...

LOL (!!) on the Reunited thing. Glad you all back home safe and sound - what an adventure. And your kids are so cute... I always love the pictures.

I know we haven't seen each other in, oh, decades, but I sure miss you.

Scrapbookallie said...

Okay, its so funny but I told my family that you were back home and Robert was back home and the whole Mullens clan was "reunited" we started singing the song--hahaha and its on your blog. . . . . . so happy "all is well, all is well"

Love me

Holy Coupons Batman

Background