Monday, June 22, 2009

In a bowl you can eat!!!

Keeping with my theme of being mother of the year, last Friday I made breakfast bowl and filled them with yummo scrambled eggs, cheese and bacon.
I normally can not stand to watch Paula Dean (I'm sorry Arcalee) her voice just makes me want to throw things at the tv. That being said, I love her recipes. They are filled with either butter or mayonaise, no light this or margarine that, only fat filled goodness. I was at Sue's house to get rid of one kid or the other and Paula's show was on. She made these biscuit bowls and filled them with chili (mah oh mah they are yyyyuuuuummmmyy and her boys just come a runnin' when she makes them)
I thought, and I was right, they'd be good for breakfast. Here is her recipe, I ommitted the cayenne pepper and grated cheese in the mix. And since I'm not employed by Bisquick, I rebelled and used Pioneer biscuit and pancake mix-
Vegetable oil cooking spray
2 cups biscuit baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
2/3 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Flour, for dusting the work surface (thanks Paula, we're morons, we wouldn't have thought to dust the work are with flour)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Invert a muffin tin and spray the underside with vegetable oil cooking spray. (this doesn't make sense without seeing it, but you are using the back of the cupcake pan, not the inside, if you use the normal inside your bowl will be itty bitty)
Stir together the baking mix, milk, and cayenne. Shape into a ball. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times. Divide the ball into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-inch circle. Place a dough circle over the back of each muffin cup. Press around the cup to form a bowl shape. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool slightly. Remove the biscuit bowls and let cool.
I then added my famous scrambled eggs, I scramble them with some milk- there that's my secret. I also learned after being the food coordinator for Girls camp back in oohh 1990, you need to cook the bacon BEFORE adding it to the egg mixture. So many girls suffered from trichonosis that year, but it's a lesson they remember to this day. COOK THE BACON!!!!
Hey who was the moron who left a 20 year old in charge of food for 35 girls and leaders?
I digress- The results were mixed, David liked it somewhat,but not the bowl at all, just the inside. Quentin liked 1/2 of the bowl, but it was too much for him to finish,plus it tasted like flour. Alice and Joely loved it and Alice said it was the best thing she had eaten. I don't know if it was the best thing she had eaten that day or ever, but nonetheless, she loved it.
I, for one, really loved it and will make it again, although probably not for David and Quentin, maybe for Brunch with the girls.
IN other news, Truffles is still adorable. She's getting huge and enjoys pouncing on Alice, it's fun to watch, until of course Alice gets hurt, and then well its hillarious. We are working with Truffles to redirect her agression with Tennis Balls and occasionally we throw Sammi under the bus and make her "play" with the puppy. Playing for Sammi means growling and moving away, but Truffles doesn't understand the body language and thinks she's getting attention.
Also we are now wireless. So come over the Mullens Hot spot and I'll log you in with our super secret Mullens family password. Go ahead and try and guess it, I know you won't figure it out.
Looking ahead to the 4th of July, we'll be doing the Cub Scout Float on the Independence Day Parade, so you'll see me sporting my finest in scout gear.

7 comments:

Highlights said...

YAY biscuit bowls! I think I should try that on my family. I think I would omit the cayenne too, and I'm glad there is no mayonaise in this one.

Nay's Mom said...

I love Paula Deen....I want to be her when I grow up.

Password...am I right?

Jan said...

It sounds yummy. I'm thinking that you and I would agree on Paula's voice - now you know how I felt living nearly 9 years in Tennessee. Ack!!

Arcalee said...

Hey, Hey. You knocking down Paula. Love her, love her cooking, and personality. Her laughter can be annoying sometime!

Amanda hall said...

I think I can safely say I have never watched Paula Deen heard the name but who has time to watch a cooking show I am doing good to even get food cooked. ;)

Steph said...

:) I happened to love your comments about camp as I am camp director this year. Here's to hoping we don't have sickness on my account. ha ha ha

I want to try these too. They do look yummy.

Steph said...

and....I don't know who Paula Dean is. Is that sad or what? I am going to have to look her up.

Holy Coupons Batman

Background